I am adding the romantically named Misty Top to my favorite pattern list. The designer, Andrea Davis of Sew To Fit, put her heart and soul into this design and ended up with a pattern sized for, and flattering to, “normal” women. Plus, we have help from designer Andrea via YouTube. She did a recent sew along for the Misty. After all that help and encouragement, I lagged behind. I don’t do well with a sew-along. Sad.
Should you decide to buy this pattern, there are a few things to remember;
- It is digital only, and you will have to do the needful to print out and tape it together.
- The fit is exactly how Andrea describes; close fitting at the bust and flares out below the bust.
- Prominent features of the pattern are: First, the collar. It’s drafted as a shawl collar, but turned inside at the back neck and side front neckline. It sort of stands up on your back neck in the most wonderful way. Two, there are sleeve details which one can customize many different ways. Third, there’s a band sewn in the front neckline which is not included in the pattern – well, its just a straight folded band of fabric. Four, the hem is curvy.
- Fabric: the pattern is designed for 11 oz rayon knit, which I used for my top in a cobalt blue, bought from Sew Much Fabric. It’s drapey and stretchy and very flattering and comfortable. If you don’t have a whole lot of knit-sewing in your repertoire, choose a more stable knit, in which case you will have to use a larger size pattern.
- Here’s the most important thing to remember. The Misty pattern has no written instructions. You can be guided by Andrea’s videos; find them on her YouTube Channel, Sew To Fit. They are long videos, but you can fast forward what you don’t need. I never did fast forward for fear of missing something.
- Sizing: as the designer said, it is close fitting in the bust and she means it. Based on the sizing chart and the finished measurements (included in the same chart), I chose a size 14. I haven’t sewn a size 14 in, like, decades. It fit well, but I think I need to go back to 16. Why? The back of the collar needs to stand up and hug my back neck. A 14 does not hug my back neck; it is too small for me in the back and the shoulder seams are pulling towards the back. Somehow, the front is OK, but does cling, therefore outlining my “muffin top” and the pant waistband. Therefore, the next Misty will be a size 16.
- I added 3 inches to the length, and now wish it was even longer. I’ve left the hem edge raw because a shorter top will not make me happy. On second thoughts, I will make a very narrow hem in this one.
- Generally, I’m finding the Misty top quite flattering and I feel good in it. Ideal thing to wear to view the solar eclipse ….
Now, for my favorite part: adding the Misty top to my closet! I take that back – wearing it for the next trip out the door.
Love to all,
7 thoughts on “What I Wore to the Eclipse. The Misty Top”
I am very impressed at how wonderful this Top looks on you and that length is so becoming. Thanks for such a detailed review.
You’re welcome, Andrea. It’s such a pretty top.
Samina, you look very chic!! The style and color is most flattering!!
Thanks, Roz! The knit is the softest and most comfortable knit ever.
This top is beautiful. I love the vibrant blue color – gorgeous!
Thank you, Tomasa!
Your Misty top is stunning Samina!