#Earth Month Post #2: Refashioning Silk Jacket

Wednesday Edit: Yay! Can include pictures – had to go another way to do it.

This was before:  (Hi Readers, I apologize for not including photographs of this refashion — because I can’t. Because the blogging software won’t let me. Rather than not post anything, I’ll direct you to my Facebook page where I’m posting images. So sorry :(.)


It was a wondrous moment when I looked at the insides of Ann Taylor Loft’s lined, grey silk dupionni boxy jacket from many seasons ago.  The fabric is great, it had all the structure inside that a well-made jacket should have.  But it missed the mark on design. This is just my opinion; to a great extent “design” is subjective.

I’ve said it before, but family closets are my favorite refashion material resources. This Loft jacket belonged to a daughter, which she bought but did not particularly like after the purchase, the wearing and the push to the closet back. We know why.


The sleeves are taking away goodness from this otherwise good looking cropped jacket. They’re tailored into the armhole, but gathered into a cuffed band at elbow level. The band actually buttons into a real buttonhole. The above-elbow length doesn’t do it justice.

The back has pleats falling down from a back yolk; I can easily remove them by ripping out and gathering the excess into a center back seam, to follow the natural back curve.  I’m on the fence about them, and will leave well alone for now. What do you think?

I really like the welt pockets, and most of all, I love the side pieces of the jacket (there is no conventional side seam). The side pieces are such a good way to shape the jacket some more if needed.

The peter-pan collar and the buttons and buttonhole form the perfect union on the jacket front

Jacket insides:

I discovered that the jacket and lining armhole seam were not anchored to each other, except by a strip of lining loosely sewn to each side inside the seamline at the top (left photo.

The armhole seam was well stabilized on the fashion fabric with a fused interfacing strip, plus a stabilizing tape sewn into it. The entire front was interfaced with a good fusible, as was the yoke and the side pieces. Right photo, above.



Couple of “outtakes” and case of the giggles……

First, I tried a trick which I’d heard of but never used:  cutting the sleeve off and leaving just enough fabric to turn back inside to form a facing.  But it didn’t work for me; it looked weird and began to look “refashioned”. I think a good refashioned piece should look as if it was originally made that way.

So, the sleeves were removed, then the edges of the armhole basted together – to keep them together.

I used the sleeves to create bias strips which were sewn to the armhole sleeves, right sides together, then turned back inside. Turn in the raw edge of the bias again; pin down, baste to make sure everything is good. Hand sew with a slip stitch to the lining; every few stitches you should catch a thread of the fashion fabric.

Press (using a press cloth) and we’re done!

Happy sewing!


7 thoughts on “#Earth Month Post #2: Refashioning Silk Jacket

    1. Thanks, Annie! I’m still working on why the images did not upload into the post. Bummer. But I did road test the vest; I think it will see a lot of wear this year.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s